General Manager - DJB Instruments (UK) Limited
- Location: Mildenhall, Suffolk (UK)
- Closing date: 31 October 2022
Do you want to work for a group whose products help protect the world’s largest wind tunnel? Whose products help maintain helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft around the world including the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight? Whose products keep our lights on by ensuring the turbines that generate our electricity work at maximum efficiency?
If so, join us in our mission to protect our customers critical assets by delivering innovative, disruptive, and class-leading products, supported through-life.
The group brings quality, innovation, and service to a range of precision markets. Specialising in vibration and acoustic analysis, vibration monitoring, the supply of sensors, and the science of structural and rotating machinery for the aviation, power generation, automotive, defence, and manufacturing industries.
We are at an exciting point in our journey, with accelerated growth, high internal investment in product development, and ambitions to disrupt the sectors in which we operate. We are looking for highly motivated and capable individuals to help us to achieve our mission.
DJB Instruments (UK) Limited has been manufacturing IEPE and charge accelerometers, cables, instrumentation, and accessories since 1974 and is committed to improving vibration and sensing data accuracy for its customer base through precision engineering and manufacturing.
DJB is seeking to recruit a General Manager to lead its business, which is a subsidiary of Condition Monitoring Technology Group (CMTG), based at our Mildenhall facility. Situated in the spectacular and diverse region of Suffolk, as well as being close to Cambridge, Norwich, and Thetford Forest Park, the nearby Suffolk Coast, and Heaths and Dedham Vale are both nationally designated areas of outstanding natural beauty.
You will be leading a multi-functional team within a design and manufacturing business where a combination of world-class, highly innovative products, robust engineering processes, and the use of the latest technologies combine to support our customers, operating within some of the most highly regulated industries and aerospace sectors worldwide.
The successful applicant will assume full responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the business and must be willing to travel both nationally/internationally, as required, to deliver against both the Company and the Group objectives.
Purpose of post
As a general manager for one of CMTG’s businesses, you will have the opportunity to both support our range of existing products and shape the future of the products and processes. You will be involved in all key business activities ensuring the needs of the customer are met.
- To contribute to the strategic development of the company and to the management decision-making process.
- To communicate the business strategy for DJB Instruments (UK) Limited in order to support the realisation of the group's overall business strategy.
- Assume responsibility for the profit and loss performance of the company and recommend and implement changes to improve financial performance.
- To deliver sustainable growth both in terms of sales and profitability for the company in line with group expectations.
- Contribute to the preparation of financial forecasts for the company and to the group's operating and business plan, as required.
- Manage operational margins to manage supply chain, procurement activities, and inventory management.
- Strengthen and refine the management framework for all business operations (e.g. metrics, reporting, review processes, etc.) and for the management of KPI deliveries.
- Effectively implement the company human resources policy and procedures, and manage the Mildenhall facility including annual appraisals, identification of training needs, succession planning, and developing a culture of empowerment.
- Plan, organise, and manage the work of the Mildenhall facility to ensure that work is accomplished in a manner consistent with organisational requirements.
- Manage process design and compliance management.
- Assume accountability for sales into the UK and other rest of world territories and for meeting agreed sales targets.
- Assume accountability for business development activities in the UK and other rest of world territories.
- Assume responsibility for competitive bid proposals and tender responses.
- Assume responsibility for existing customer and new account development.
- Identify and evaluate new business opportunities.
- Liaise with key customers and other business partners to maintain and develop strategic relationships.
- Manage and report on actual business performance against forecasted business performance for all areas of the organisation and report on operational issues.
- Contribute to and develop, or validate product road-maps to ensure that they remain appropriate to the long-term needs of the business and assume responsibility for the performance and output of the engineering department.
- Evaluate grant-funding opportunities for the company.
- Contribute to, and report, on marketing activities.
- Responsibility for the management of all Quality and EHS Management System Approvals (ISO9001 etc.) for the company.
- To champion continuous improvement activities for the Company.
- Maintain personal continued professional development (CPD) and current best practice developments.
- Strong commercial acumen with broad experience in developing and implementing short, medium, and longer-term objectives and strategies to achieve business goals.
- Proven capability of operating successfully at the senior management level.
- Proven track record as a highly effective leader, managing multi-discipline teams that drive operational effectiveness.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and experience in operations management in a high-volume environment.
- Good financial acumen including forecasting, planning, and cost control capabilities, and strong experience in managing budgets.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Experience in working closely with internal and external customers.
- Good understanding of electro/mechanical manufacturing, assembly, and test processes
- Willingness to travel across the UK and internationally, as required.
- A track record in sales and business development and working with resellers and distributors would be an advantage.
- Experience in manufacturing electronic sensors, and assemblies for industrial, and aerospace applications would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of piezoelectric accelerometers or another applicable metrology discipline
- Knowledge of calibration processes and measurement uncertainty calculations
- Knowledge of general test and measurement, instrumentation, sensors, and data analysis technologies, especially in the field of acoustics or vibration testing
- Experience in new product introduction
- Hybrid working patterns
- Global reach, CMTG has offices across the globe providing further opportunities for development and progression
- A highly knowledgeable, high-achieving team, with diverse skills and backgrounds
- A culture of continuous improvement, new ideas, and experiences are always welcome
- Chance to be part of a growing and ambitious company, helping to deliver success
- A competitive base salary plus an evolving benefits package
- To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to Careers at CMTG
- Closing Date: 31 October 2022
About the Group
The Condition Monitoring Technology Group (CMTG) offers a wide range of system capability, innovation, and over 35 years of experience. We provide the technologies and services to optimise complex systems, identify potential failures and help our customers to plot solutions, reduce costs and improve safety.
CMTG is made up of Helitune, Semia, SEI, Beran, Prosig, and DJB. The group designs manufacture and supports world-class vibration analysis, conditioning monitoring, and test and measurement solutions for the aviation, power generation, automotive, advanced engineering, defence, and manufacturing industries. CMTG has local sales and support facilities in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and the USA.