Design Engineer (Accelerometers/Sensors)
- Location: Mildenhall, Suffolk (UK)
- Closing date: 31 March 2023
Do you want to work for a Group whose products
- Protect the world’s largest wind tunnel?
- Are used to develop engines and aero in Formula 1 and gearboxes for Le Mans
- Help automotive engineers develop the latest generation of electric vehicles and batteries
- Maintain helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft around the world [including the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight?
- Test satellites and space hardware prior to launch?
- Keep our lights on by ensuring the turbines that generate our electricity work at maximum efficiency.
If so, join us in our mission to protect our customers' critical assets by delivering innovative, disruptive, and class-leading products, supported through life.
CMTG brings quality, innovation, and service to a range of precision markets. Specialising in vibration and acoustic analysis, vibration monitoring, the supply of sensors, and the science of structural and rotating machinery for the aviation, power generation, automotive, defence, and manufacturing industries.
We are at an exciting point in our journey, with accelerated growth, high internal investment in product development, and ambitions to disrupt the sectors in which we operate. We are looking for highly motivated and capable individuals to help us to achieve our mission.
DJB has been manufacturing IEPE and charge accelerometers, cables, instrumentation, and accessories since 1974 and is committed to improving vibration and sensing data accuracy for its customer base through precision engineering and manufacturing.
We are looking for a Design Engineer to support and expand the range of accelerometers and associated instrumentation produced by DJB and to be responsible for the detailed design of its sensor range. DJB, a subsidiary of Condition Monitoring Technology Group (CMTG), is situated in the spectacular and diverse region of Suffolk and as well as being close to Cambridge, Norwich, and Thetford Forest Park, the nearby Suffolk Coast and Heaths and Dedham Vale are both nationally designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
You will be a member of a supportive, hard-working team within a growing sales-orientated engineering organisation where a combination of world-class, highly innovative products, robust engineering processes, and use of the latest technologies combine to support our customers, operating within some of the most highly regulated industries and aerospace sectors worldwide.
This role is ideal for an engineer with experience in sensor design, piezoelectric materials, metrology, or other high-accuracy industries with a strong background in material selection.
The successful applicant will be responsible for leading the design of new accelerometers and for maintaining and improving the existing range of accelerometers. The role involves working closely with sales and manufacturing and engaging with customers to design and approve product variations.
Additionally, the Design Engineer will be responsible for the technical content of data sheets and other marketing material as well as working closely with the General Manager to contribute towards the strategic innovation of the DJB product range.
Purpose of post
- To contribute to new product idea generation including the creation of design specification documents and including the creation of design specification documents and competitive product benchmark analysis.
- To undertake research tasks and material evaluation within cost and timeframe constraints.
- To work with key stakeholders to design new products and to develop and enhance existing products.
- To produce assembly drawings, parts lists, and supporting documents to enable the purchase, manufacture, assembly, and testing of new and existing products.
- To liaise with other departments within the Group, as appropriate.
- To follow the appropriate quality systems for design, document, and change control.
- To produce drawing standards identified in work instructions that are aligned with national and internationally recognised standards for manufacture and installation.
- To maintain accurate records for drawing and document issue control including the definition of accurate product configuration data within the company ERP system.
- To provide the information required to produce or maintain datasheets and other marketing material.
- To work with key stakeholders to design new products and to develop and enhance existing products, as well as lead the design review and FMEA processes.
- To define product validation test strategies and processes, including the design and fabrication of associated tooling and test infrastructure.
- Proven technical background in mechanical design and materials selection with demonstrable experience in design for manufacturing activities in a machine- shop, toolmaking, or similar environment, ideally with background and experience in physics, piezoelectric materials, materials science, and analogue electronics.
- Knowledge of accelerometers and MEMS or similar electro-mechanical devices.
- Appreciation of systems design and integration challenges
- A user of 3D and 2D CAD packages, preferably Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD, and Autodesk fusion 360
- Strong interpersonal communication, and presentation skills.
- Experience in working closely with internal and external customers
- Good understanding of electro/mechanical manufacturing, assembly, and test processes
- Willingness to travel across the UK and internationally, as required.
- Knowledge of test and measurement, instrumentation, piezo-electronic materials, sensors, and data analysis, especially in the field of acoustics or vibration testing.
- A technical background in electronic engineering disciplines
- Experience in R&D in the automotive, aerospace, or other advanced engineering industries.
- Experience in manufacturing electronic sensors and assemblies for industrial and aerospace applications would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of piezoelectric accelerometers or another applicable metrology discipline.
- Understanding of Matlab, LabVIEW, or other test and measurement packages.
- A competitive base salary plus an evolving benefits package
- Hybrid working patterns with flexible working around core hours
- Bonus Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Global reach - CMTG has offices across the globe providing further opportunities for development and progression
- A culture of continuous improvement, new ideas, and experiences is always welcome!
- Chance to be part of a growing and ambitious company, helping to deliver success
- To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to Careers at CMTG
- Closing Date: 31 March 2023
About the Group
The Condition Monitoring Technology Group (CMTG) offers a wide range of system capabilities, innovation, and over 35 years of experience. We provide the technologies and services to optimise complex systems, identify potential failures and help our customers to plot solutions, reduce costs and improve safety.
CMTG is made up of Helitune, Semia, SEI, Beran, Prosig, and DJB. The group designs manufactures and supports world-class vibration analysis, conditioning monitoring, and test and measurement solutions for the aviation, power generation, automotive, advanced engineering, defence, and manufacturing industries. CMTG has local sales and support facilities in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and the USA.